With the store pricing done and data tabulated, the PracticalDad Price Index rose in March, 2011 to 101.19 from a February figure of 100.78. This is a cumulative 1.19% increase over the November, 2010 rate of 100. While the market basket has shown only minor upwards movement, there are certain items that stand out.
- The price per one pound of ground beef has been at $3.32, which is 10% higher than the original November, 2010 price of $3.02/lb.
- Coffee rose – without any adjustment in the package size – by 9.7% from the February price (from $3.38 to $3.71) and since the Index’s inception by a full 25%. This 25% rise incorporates adjustment for two different stores of unrelated chains decreasing the package size while keeping the price steady, aka stealth inflation.
- While the price of flour itself has remained steady at $1.99 per five pound bag, the cost of baked goods – bread and hot dog rolls – has begun to rise. Bread rose by 8.9% last month while the rolls have increased by 4.5% since the Index’s inception.
- Milk (2%) jumped by almost 5% from February, which was actually lower than the November price, having declined.
- Canola Oil rose by more than 12% from the February price and is now 17% higher than at the Index’s inception.
Here are the prices for the marketbasket.
|Item||Size||Category||1/11 Avg Price||2/11 Avg Price||3/11 Avg Price|
|hot dog rolls (ct)||8||bread||1.09||1.12||1.14|
|loaf, wht bread, store brand (oz)||20||bread||1.12||1.12||1.22|
|spaghetti, store brand (oz)||16||bread||1.18||1.18||1.18|
|child cereal, sugar flakes, store brand (oz)||17||cereal||2.90||2.90||2.90|
|cereal, rice chex, store brand (oz)||12.8||cereal||2.74||2.74||2.74|
|oatmeal, one minute, store brand (oz)||42||cereal||3.18||3.18||3.21|
|milk, 2% (gallon)||1||dairy||3.46||3.51||3.68|
|butter, unsalted, store brand (lb)||1||dairy||3.56||3.39||3.49|
|vanilla ice cream, store brand (qt)||1||dairy||2.04||1.94||1.94|
|grated parmesan cheese, store brand (oz)||8||dairy||2.99||3.08||3.08|
|American Cheese, deli (lb)||1||dairy||5.52||5.86||5.52|
|peanut butter, store brand (oz)||28||grocery||2.96||2.96||2.96|
|grape jelly, store brand (oz)||32||grocery||1.89||1.82||1.82|
|kidney beans, dark, store brand (oz)||15.5||grocery||.86||.87||.87|
|can green peas, store brand (oz)||15||grocery||.92||.92||.92|
|can diced tomatoes, store brand (oz)||14.5||grocery||.94||.94||.94|
|can cut green beans, store brand (oz)||14.5||grocery||.92||.92||.92|
|can corn, store brand (oz)||15.25||grocery||.92||.92||.92|
|spaghetti sauce, store brand (oz)||26||grocery||1.13||1.13||1.13|
|cola, store brand (lt)||2||grocery||.89||.89||.92|
|caffeinated coffee, store brand (oz)||13||grocery||3.25||3.38||3.71|
|diapers, store brand, size 3 (ct)||104||baby||17.82||17.82||17.82|
|formula, Enfamil Premium, Lipil (oz)||23.4||baby||22.94||22.94||22.94|
|child ibuprofen, OS, store brand (oz)||4||hlth/bty||4.96||4.96||4.96|
|adult ibuprofen, store brand (ct)||100||hlth/bty||6.92||6.72||6.72|
|shampoo, Suave (oz)||22.5||hlth/bty||1.71||1.71||1.71|
|pads, long, Poise (ct)||42||hlth/bty||16.09||16.09||16.09|
|bath soap, Dial (ct)||8||hlth/bty||5.39||5.39||5.39|
|aluminum foil, store brand (sq ft)||75||hshld||2.97||2.97||2.97|
|kitchen trash bags, store brand (ct)||26||hshld||4.41||4.11||4.15|
|paper towels, 2 ply, store brand (ct)||8||hshld||7.26||7.26||7.26|
|hot dogs, meat franks, store brand (oz)||16||meat||2.46||2.46||2.46|
|ground beef, 80% lean (lb)||1||meat||3.32||3.32||3.32|
|eggs, large (doz)||1||meat||1.99||1.71||1.72|
|lunchmeat, deli ham (lb)||1||meat||4.59||4.06||4.06|
|chicken, roaster (lb)||1||meat||1.56||1.62||1.59|
|fish sticks, Gortons (ct)||44||meat||
|tuna, water packed, store brand (oz)||5||meat||.96||.78||.78|
|apples, red delicious, bag (lb)||3||produce||3.42||3.76||3.59|
|carrots, bag (lb)||2||produce||2.09||2.02||2.12|
|OJ, non-concentrate, store brand (oz)||64||produce||2.56||2.66||2.66|
|potatoes, Russet (lb)||5||produce||3.66||3.82||3.99|
|sugar, store brand (lb)||5||staple||3.12||3.21||3.24|
|flour, All Purpose, store brand (lb)||5||staple||1.92||1.99||1.99|
|canola oil, store brand (oz)||48||staple||3.12||3.26||3.66|
|rice, white, long-grain, store brand (lb)||2||staple||1.59||1.67||1.67|