Even when your kids follow through on all of the right precautions, a virus can make it through and this morning, Middle awoke complaining of feeling feverish. So what to do?
- Obviously, take his temperature and sure enough, he has a fever high enough to call for ibuprofen to help control it. Bear in mind that for most people, their body temperature is lowest when they arise and if sick, will rise appreciably throughout the day.
- Because taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach can cause nausea, assure first that he isn’t nauseated. Then prepare dry toast and make sure that it’s eaten so that there’s some bland food in the stomach before the ibuprofen is given.
- Provide a large cup of apple juice/water mix for him to drink and keep it filled through the morning. Keeping him hydrated is essential.
- Immediately pull the disinfectant wipes and start wiping down all of the bathroom handles and surfaces before the other kids arise. Wiping down with disinfectant might seem like closing the barn door after the horse is out, but I may as well make the effort.
- Then take the disinfectant wipes to other household surfaces, especially electronic remotes, telephones and door and faucet handles.
- Banish him to his room to sleep and periodically check on him.
Now I have to settle in for the long haul as these cases can last for days. That also suggests that I have to start looking at the calendar and if necessary, make changes in what’s scheduled.
Please note that this is not intended as medical advice. If you have concerns or questions, contact your pediatrician or family physician.