Timing the Special Moments
With fathers having a greater role in raising the kids, they'll be there for more of the "first" moments than in the past and Mom might be missing them instead. Some of these things are unavoidable but it pays to think about those "firsts" than can be scheduled. I believe that most mothers do miss the ability to be there for these instances and it can soothe a relationship if you pay attention.
It was fourteen years ago this Thanksgiving that my eldest had her first bite of solid food. I remember this date as we were in a Naval Officer's Club with relatives for a Thanksgiving meal with our first-born baby. She'd been making headway in readiness for solid food but it didn't occur to me that it was that soon; I excused myself to the restroom and returned to find Mom and Mother-in-law had decided to make the leap and the baby was happily finishing up her first green bean. It wasn't that she had taken the first bite, but the fact that the decision for this situation was made in my absence, that bothered me. You can't exercise great control over rolling over and the first steps, but the baby didn't put the food in her own mouth. Since then, I've tried to bear this experience in mind as we've moved forward with other firsts and other children.
A little forethought can make absence a bit more bearable for Mom.
Happy Thanksgiving and pass the green beans.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?