PracticalDad Price Index - August 2015 / Total Index Collapse
PracticalDad note: This is an abbreviated update for the August 2015 Price Index. The summer has been busy and full and writing has been curtailed because of, well...life. That said, the pricing for the August edition of the PracticalDad Price Index did occur at the first of the month and this is the abbreviated version; more will be coming on this when things gear up again in another week.
The PracticalDad Price Index resumed it's decline, which has occurred almost uninterrupted since reaching the peak in late 2014 and early 2015. What is most notable is that the Total Index (covering the cost of 47 grocery store items priced in three unrelated grocery stores with November 2010 = 100) dropped significantly by 1.34 basis points from July's reading of 106.30 to August's level of 104.96. The Food-Only Index of the 37 Foodstuff items from the basket also declined in the month, although not as precipitously; July's Food-Only Index was 107.35 but declined to 106.97 in August. Please note that the peak index reading for each category was 111.32 in January 2015 for the Total Index and 115.13 in December 2014 for the Food-Only Index. Since those peaks, the Total Index has given up 56% of the price increases that had occurred since the Index's inception in November 2010; the Food-Only Index component has given up 54% of the price increases that occurred since November 2010.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?