PracticalDad Price Index: October 2013
Ben Bernanke will end his term as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve System most noted for his now famous comment about combating deflation with a helicopter money drop if necessary. But the monthly review of the 47 grocery items in the PracticalDad Price Index shows that significant inflation still hasn't reached the grocery stores as the October 2013 Total Index dropped very slightly to 108.35 (November 2010 = 100) and the 37 item Food-only Index declined by more than .75 points to 112.98 (November 2010 = 100). On the basis of the Food-only index, this is the largest decrease since the greater than 1 point drop from December 2012 to January 2013 and is the lowest level by that index since October 2012, a full year ago.
The discrepancy - minimal decrease in Total Index versus significant decrease in Food-Only Index - is explicable. There were six price increases offset by six price decreases amongst the 47 items; but the significant price rises were for non-food items (soap at 2.7% and trash bags at 11%) while the three significant drops were in ground beef (2.4%), roaster chicken (3.1%) and apples (9.1%).
Month Total Index Food-Only Index Spread
7/13 107.57 113.13 5.56
8/13 107.90 113.14 5.24
9/13 108.39 113.76 5.37
10/13 107.83 112.98 4.63
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?