Deflation Pulls Ahead - PracticalDad Price Index, July 2013
When it comes to the topic of inflation, central bankers are to pubescent males as the rest of us are to prim young girls who've been well-schooled by protective mothers: C'mon, it'll be great. Everything'll be fine since I've got experience with this. You want it and you know that you want it. What does your mother know? She's so old-fashioned... But despite the conniving and constant wheedling efforts, July's PracticalDad Price Index indicates that dear ol' Mom has pegged the bankers with a cast-iron skillet. Both the Total Index and Food-only Indices (November 2010 = 100) have dropped from June's figures. The Total Index - covering 47 separate items priced in three unrelated supermarkets - declined from June's 107.65 to 107.57; however, the 37 item food-only index dropped steeply from June's 113.55 to July's 113.13 - almost a half of one percent in one month.
The results of the past four months are:
Month/Year Total Index Food-Only Index Spread
4/13 107.29 113.46 6.17
5/13 107.64 113.68 6.04
6/13 107.65 113.55 5.90
7/13 107.57 113.13 5.56
The upshot is that for these items in the market basket, prices have risen 7.57% for all of the items and 13.13% for the foodstuffs alone. Despite their best efforts, the central bankers are falling behind in their efforts.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?