‘Flation Rages On: The PracticalDad Price Index - June 2013
The results of the June 2013 PracticalDad Price Index are in and the 'flationary battle continues to rage on. The fact that the results show no change in the total index - May's Total Index of 107.64 versus June's 107.65 - and an actual drop in the Food-only Index from May's 113.68 to June's 113.55 - indicates that the inflationary aspirations of the global central banks are running headlong into the reality of underemployment, excessive bad debt and declining real wages. So it's impossible to say whether it's inflation or deflation and we're left with 'flation.
Recall that the index is composed of 47 separate items that can be purchased at any of three separate and unrelated grocery stores, and that 37 of these items comprise the Food-Only segment of the Total Index. With the scale set at November 2010 = 100, the upshot is that the cost of the average Food-only items in the marketbasket actually declined from May 2013 to June 2013.
The results of the past four months are:
Month/Year Total Index Food-Only Index Spread
3/13 107.24 113.35 6.11
4/13 107.29 113.46 6.17
5/13 107.64 113.68 6.04
6/13 107.65 113.55 5.90
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?