Economics for the PracticalDad
As seemingly mundane and academic as it may appear, Economics has taken on a new perspective and importance in the past several weeks. What is occurring now in our economic system - financial and otherwise - will have huge repercussions for how we live and how we raise and teach our children.
This website is a new experience and for me, a vertical learning curve. My intent was to post a new article daily and I was starting to get into the swing when the children returned to school. And then the Wall Street firms went to hell - Lehman Brothers, AIG, et al - and my life was fully taken over by this ability to witness the unprecedented destruction of credit and the financial sector via the internet and CNBC. Yes, it's exciting in a morbid way and certainly historic. But my focus on that led me away from here.
That doesn't mean that I've been playing or slacking, however. My questions are always, in this order:
- What exactly is happening? What are the real facts of the situation, i.e. how do I parse out the signal from the surrounding noise?
- What are effects for me and my family?
- What measures do I take to protect them and is some way to turn it to my advantage? That sounds cynical perhaps, but as my father once said: cynicism can make you feel dirty, but it can also buy a lot of soap.
There are huge and real changes happening here. It is, to use the academic term, a paradigm shift in which the old teachings are shown to be outmoded and in need of replacement. And there are philosophies and practices that need immediate replacement. More of my time is going to be spent addressing these changes in my own home, and consequently, discussing them here.
Stay tuned...Next up? How do I figure out what's going on?
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?