Headlice and Persistence
If you have a kid with headlice, I can't stress enough that there is no way to get around nitpicking, or manually examining the hair and scalp.
While you certainly treat with chemically laden shampoos like Rid and Nix, there is no guarantee that the lice won't have a tolerance to the chemicals.
While we were in the process of treating two of our children, I received a call from a friend whose daughter was also infested. She'd done the examinations for a full week and then stopped, trusting in the efficacy of the shampoo treatments. After three weeks of living with that assumption, her stylist had found the daughter's head again infested and had immediately stopped cutting the hair. A few of the eggs had survived the treatments and after birth, had matured and started the process once again. This led to another three weeks of head checks for the daughter as well as the siblings; avoidable had she kept up the examinations.
It will make your scalp crawl, but suck it up and handle it.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?