A PracticalDad Tip: Keeping Children Occupied
You have an outdoor job that needs done and the kids want to "help". Your options?
- Let them help and spend two or three times as long finishing the task;
- Re-direct them - again and again - to the playset or toys and finally lose patience.
Option 1 works if you plan ahead and build lost time into the project. But if there's no time allowance, then you probably select Option 2. I've been caught in both scenarios and each can be hugely frustrating.
Let me suggest another option. Give the kids some larger paint brushes and a bucket of water and let them "paint" the driveway, patio or playset. They can "paint" to their heart's content and the creation will dry to nothing, letting them start again. The larger brushes and bucket are out of their usual experience and the novelty can last as long as their creativity and the bucket.
And in the meantime, work like mad to finish the job.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?