PracticalDad Price Index: Retail Grocery Basket Up Another .81%; 2% Over Two Months
September's pricing of the 47 item PracticalDad grocery basket showed that the cost of the basket rose .81% from August's level with the September index now at 105.71; cumulatively, the cost of the market basket is now 5.71% higher than that at the November 2010 inception.
Inflation at the retail grocery level appears to be starting to surge as the cost of the market basket rose almost 2% from July to September; it had risen 3.71% in the preceding nine month period of November 2010 to July 2011.
|Month||Price ($)||Index||3 Month Moving Average|
So what's notable about the September pricing?
- Grocers are making significant changes to keep prices under control. In one instance this month, a grocer kept the same price and size for coffee (@ 11 oz) but went from a can to a vacuum-packed brick. In another, a grocer actually dropped the price of their 42 ounce container of one-minute oatmeal by 30% but did so by completely eliminating their own store-brand and replacing it with a much lower cost off-brand oatmeal. Had it not been for this particular effect, the Index would have been higher.
- Produce at the retail level rose again as the average cost of potatoes from three stores rose by an additional 7.9% and apples also rose by a full 10%. Eggs shot up in price by almost 17%, but this product has shown that it can fluctuate in price over the past year so it's uncertain whether such an increase will stick.
- There were fewer items that had price increases than last month, as well as items with rises greater than 5%.
|hot dog rolls (ct)||8||bread||1.20||1.20||1.20|
|loaf, wht bread, store brand (oz)||20||bread||1.22||1.22||1.26|
|spaghetti, store brand (oz)||16||bread||1.21||1.24||1.21|
|child cereal, sugar flakes, store brand (oz)||17||cereal||2.90||2.90||2.90|
|cereal, rice chex, store brand (oz)||12.8||cereal||2.74||2.74||2.74|
|oatmeal, one minute, store brand (oz)||42||cereal||3.26||3.26||2.92|
|milk, 2% (gallon)||1||dairy||3.98||4.01||4.04|
|butter, unsalted, store brand (lb)||1||dairy||3.49||3.49||3.49|
|vanilla ice cream, store brand (qt)||1||dairy||2.01||2.01||2.01|
|grated parmesan cheese, store brand (oz)||8||dairy||3.08||3.08||3.08|
|American cheese, deli (lb)||1||dairy||5.52||5.52||5.59|
|peanut butter, store brand (oz)||28||grocery||2.96||3.06||3.09|
|grape jelly, store brand (oz)||32||grocery||1.92||1.99||1.99|
|kidney beans, dark, store brand (oz)||15.5||grocery||.87||.93||.92|
|can green peas, store brand (oz)||15||grocery||.94||.96||.96|
|can diced tomatoes, store brand (oz)||14.5||grocery||1.01||1.01||1.01|
|can cut green beans, store brand (oz)||14.5||grocery||.94||.96||.96|
|can corn, store brand (oz)||15.25||grocery||.94||.96||.96|
|spaghetti sauce, store brand (oz)||26||grocery||1.22||1.22||1.26|
|cola, store brand (L)||2||grocery||.96||.96||.96|
|caffeinated coffee, store brand (oz)||13||grocery||4.15||4.32||4.36|
|diapers, store brand (ct)||100||hlth/bty||18.63||18.63||18.70|
|formula, Enfamil Premium, Lipil (oz)||23.4||hlth/bty||22.94||23.29||23.59|
|child ibuprofen, OS, store brand (oz)||4||hlth/bty||4.99||4.96||4.96|
|adult ibuprofen, caplet, store brand (ct)||100||hlth/bty||6.89||7.41||7.41|
|shampoo, Suave (oz)||22.5||hlth/bty||1.71||1.81||1.86|
|pads, long/maximum, Poise (ct)||42||hlth/bty||16.09||16.09||16.09|
|bath soap, Dial (ct)||8||hlth/bty||5.39||5.39||5.84|
|aluminum foil, store brand (sq ft)||75||hshld||2.97||2.97||3.01|
|kitchen trash bags, handletop, store brand (ct)||26||hshld||4.16||4.31||4.31|
|paper towels, 2 ply, store brand (ct)||8||hshld||7.26||7.26||7.26|
|hot dogs, meat franks, store brand (oz)||16||meat||2.69||2.69||2.69|
|ground beef, 80% lean (lb)||1||meat||3.46||3.46||3.46|
|eggs, large (doz)||1||meat||1.81||1.78||2.08|
|lunchmeat, deli ham, chopped (lb)||1||meat||4.06||4.39||4.06|
|chicken, roaster (lb)||1||meat||1.56||1.66||1.59|
|fish sticks, Gortons (ct)||44||meat||7.66||7.49||7.49|
|tuna, chunk lt, water packed, store brand (oz)||5||meat||.81||.81||.81|
|apples, Red Delicious, bag (lb)||3||produce||3.76||3.99||4.32|
|carrots, bag (lb)||2||produce||2.39||2.39||2.39|
|OJ, non-concentrate, store brand (oz)||64||produce||2.76||2.79||2.79|
|potatoes, Russet (lb)||5||produce||4.32||4.32||4.66|
|sugar, store brand (lb)||5||staple||3.22||3.22||3.22|
|flour, store brand (lb)||5||staple||2.20||2.20||2.29|
|canola oil, store brand (oz)||48||staple||4.46||4.39||4.39|
|rice, white, long-grain, store brand (oz)||2||staple||1.73||1.73||1.81|
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?