Projects With The Kid: A PracticalDad Example
When I enter the local Lowe's store, I see a sign listing the upcoming DIY programs and some are oriented to the kids. How to build a tetherball set, a pinewood car or a small birdhouse. While these are all potentially fun and educational experiences, don't think that you have to go to some Superstore or buy stuff to have fun with Junior.
Ron is a neighbor who's conscious of a dollar and able to think outside of the box. When his son was complaining that he wanted a light sabre like another kid, Ron's first inclination was from the "oh crap" school. Here's a trip to the Toys R Us and more money plunked down for what will last - through interest or damage - for about a week. His response?
Ron grabbed empty water bottles - think Dasani - and newspapers from the recycling bin. He then combined them with a roll of duct tape to create a series of realistic light sabres for the boy to use as he battled Darth Maul. The papers were rolled into tight tubes and inserted and taped to the bottle's neck, and further reinforced by even more duct tape.
This was a Father's Three-fer. First, money saved and the joy of duct tape renewed. Second, a chance to show Junior that some wishes can be met by creativity and ingenuity. And third, Dad's pretty cool for doing that for the boy.
Look for the moments. They require a little extra thought but are worth the effort many times over.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?