Ghost of Christmas Future: UK Tuition Increase
Earlier today, a live BBC news feed showed an English student dressed as Santa being arrested. The arrest arose from the student protest against the UK Parliament's vote to triple the higher education tuition fees to 9000 Pounds annually, an amount that many students cannot afford. The English youth are rioting because they've been taught for decades that the best preparation for a prosperous economic adulthood comes via a college degree, and now their hopes of actually obtaining a degree are moving inversely to their tuition costs. They're not stupid and see the writing on the wall. Precisely what does England make? What do they produce, apart from good soccer teams, BBC America and fearsome hooligans? There will always be a need for good plumbers and craftsman, but not in the scale that would be required to absorb that kind of labor surplus.
This is also a portent of what's to come as more American states raise their in-state tuitions and higher education is effectively removed from a larger and larger segment of our children.
To be honest, I'm inclined to go ahead and riot with them since some of what ails England ails us as well.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?