Staying Near the Sick Kid
You've got a full slate of things to do and many of them are outside when one of the kids suddenly becomes ill. He lies down in bed, but do you still go outside to work in the yard?
That's the situation facing me now and frankly, I'll chuck the outside work and leave it go until later. Yes, there's always the baby monitor if the child is smaller and God knows that I used it. But when the child is sick - even if only sleeping - I'd rather forego the monitor and just stay close. Kids will come to physically need you less and less as they age, and this sick one is a young teen, but there's still the child's sense of knowing that he's not alone. Additionally, if there's nausea and vomiting involved, I believe that kids do feel better knowing that someone's there to help. And in the worst case scenario, I'm nearby in the event of a real emergency and can respond immediately. The other aspect is my own peace of mind knowing that I wasn't unattentive in the event of trouble.
So instead, I'll take some moments to write and put off the outdoor work until later.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?