Checking the Returned Schoolwork
Part of the daily routine - at least for the younger kids - is checking the homework that's been returned. It might seem a waste as the work's already been turned in and recorded, but there's value in seeing what's been done.
In my case, I'm concerned not with the work itself but instead the process of how the work was done since it's never safe to assume that kids just know how to do something. There's a process in taking any test or homework and failure to follow it can render all of the hard work moot. Did you go back and check all of your work? Did you answer the questions sequentially or did you jump around the page? Did you have a test-race with Lily in the seat next to you? If you didn't understand the question, did you ask the teacher to make it clear?
Assume nothing since all of these instances have occurred in this household, and I guarantee that the landscape is littered with other instances.
As the kids age, they'll squawk but learn until there comes a time that you don't have to perform the post-mortems. They'll really stand or fall on the knowledge base alone and that's the point of the whole exam.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?