Guys love action flicks with lots of blood and gore and taking care of kids will provide you with lots of that, so you have to be prepared. This doesn't mean that you have to garb for Level IV decontamination, but you should take a few basic precautions if your kid is sick.
One of your foremost defenses against catching what the kids bring home is to thoroughly wash your hands. After you leave the child's room, take a moment to wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer. This will help prevent the spread of germs and cut down on your taking ill. But something that you should also have available are disposable pairs of latex gloves.
I'm prone to dry and cracked skin in the winter, which leaves my hands a mess; pile on the typical scrapes and cuts and my hands are a waiting recepticle for infection. When your child is sick with a stomach or intestinal virus, you're likely going to have to clean up body fluids in quantity and the mess is laden with germs and bacteria. So I've taken to keeping disposable gloves in the house for those times that I am cleaning up such messes. I pull out the gloves to address the situation at hand and then dispose of them in plastic grocery bags which I tie up and deposit in the trash. I'll also use them when I clean the child's bathroom, wiping down the surfaces that I've had to disinfect.
But remember that the gloves only come out when you're cleaning up because a sick child will be sick enough without feeling like a leper. So take care of the child and then break them out.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?