PracticalDad Solution: Preventing Even More Housework
The more involved you are in something, the more that your perspective changes. Especially in regards to what you find important. In this instance, what's important is keeping the housework that's generated by three kids, a dog and three cats to a minimum.
Case in point is my returning home from an errand and noting a toy jutting out from under the family room sofa. There's no material that obscures the area under the sofa so that I could see another toy further back when I reached down to get the first item. I put my hand further under the furniture and as I moved it towards the back, felt a jagged pain as a protruding spring gashed my right hand open. The laceration was like a bible school song - deep and wide - and it bled freely.
And my first thought was, blood's gonna ruin this carpet! So to save the carpet while getting up and running to the kitchen sink, I raised my arm in a symbolic oath of loyalty to the carpet and let the blood flow down my arm and into my leather jacket sleeve. It's easier to clean a leather jacket than to have to try to remove copious blood stains from carpet; and the blood only stained the inside of the sleeve so that it really doesn't show anyway.
And that's one less thing to worry about with a stitched and bandaged hand.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?