PracticalDad and Christmas
Guys, be sure to thank your mate for everything they're doing to prepare for the Christmas holiday. If you're taking a major role, good for you since you have a good idea of what's involved in making things happen.
Because of job constraints - a major increase in patient care responsibilities - my wife has had minimal time to do what she would like to do and PracticalDad has picked up the slack. That means that there have been no posts for over a week and a full day is planned here, consisting of:
- Preparing a Chili dinner for pre-Christmas Eve services (done);
- Making a final grocery run for the forgotten celery for stuffing (done);
- Wrapping final Christmas gifts (to do);
- Making a final run for a restaurant gift certificate (to do);
- Pre-cutting celery and onion for tomorrow's braising for stuffing (to do);
- Grating sweet potatoes for tomorrow's casserole (to do, and gee, do I have enough butter?);
- Prepping the turkey for roasting (to do);
- Having a beer as the kids spend the day with the grandparents.
If you've ever noticed your mother or mate getting a bit high-strung the day before, this stuff is the reason why. But the kids frequently don't notice the angst and what they'll remember as they age is the sense of home, family and whatever traditions that you've chosen to make part of the family life.
I hope that you have a wonderful Holiday season and despite the hoopla, remember that it really is about family.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?