PracticalDad and Teens: Gritting Teeth
I have three kids. Several years ago, I was talking to another parent whose three kids were several years older than mine and I remarked that it must be nice to have kids that were older and didn't require the supervision needed by younger children. Her response? That pressure's gone but it's been replaced by a different kind of pressure now.
Now I get it.
The teenage years are ones in which the teen body resembles Dick Van Dyke playing a one-man band in Mary Poppins. There's frenetic activity galore as the drums boom, cymbals crash, horns toot, elbows and knees plunge in random directions and the brain rewires itself. And estrogen and testosterone bubble as frothily as a recently tapped keg. With such a panoply of random energy and activity, the result is sometimes brutal as kids knock into one anothers' bodies and emotions, eliciting sarcastic, catty and nasty remarks. And when I speak up, the sarcasm and attitude are pointed in my direction. So I respond. Because for me, gritting the teeth simply means that I don't bite them, not that I don't call them for the mouth.
Then I remember that I have as many teen years ahead of me as I had toddler years.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?