Bickering Kids in the Car: A Practical Dad Solution
Perhaps the worst place to have children bickering is the family car. You're stuck behind the wheel as the kids whine, accuse, pick, poke and annoy one another - and you. In many instances, this is caused by the kids feuding over who gets to sit in what spot. It might be who gets to sit shotgun or in our case, who gets to sit by the automatically-closing minivan door.
You could hit a storefront for the distraction it causes, so you have to figure out some workable, consistent and verifiable solution for the problem.
My favorite was created by a Practical Dad for his quarreling kids.
He ran an older vehicle without front passenger airbags, so the kids could sit shotgun. But who's turn was it? And the last trip really wasn't that long so it doesn't count, does it? And you forgot that I didn't get to sit there last week when we went to the mall, didn't you? Huh? Huh? Dintja???
Bill's a precise guy with an affinity for building and creating. He stole a page from Isosceles and created a triangle from thick cardboard, reinforced along the edges by heavy tape. Each corner was then labeled with the name of one of his three children. He kept the device inserted into an easily visible seam on his dashboard and when he had the children in his vehicle, he shifted the triangle so that the name of the shotgun child was on top, towards the ceiling. He kept it in that position and when the next trip came along, shifted it to show the next child's turn in the seat. He used this device faithfully until he was able to retire it.
But kids being kids, it might still come in handy.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?