When you contact the kid's physician to arrange a flu vaccination appointment, you'll likely be asked whether you want her to receive a flu shot or Flumist. My first reaction on being asked: What's that and what's the difference?
Just What Is Flumist?
Flumist is a flu vaccine designed to help provide immunity against the expected flu variants. In that regard, it's like the standard flu injection in that it covers the exact same flu variants expected for that particular season. It principally differs in these ways:
- Flumist is delivered via a brief squirt up each nostril so that antibodies develop in the bloodstream and the nose, which is the most likely entry point for the flu virus.
- Flumist is made from a weakened live virus while standard flu injections are derived from a dead virus.
Because small kids are usually terrified of needles, it's a parental godsend. She might still be squeamish at having to endure a squirt from some strange tube stuck up her nose but a little conversation and encouragement will help her through the process.
Flumist and Injection: A Brief Comparison
|Delivery||Mist via nasal passages||Injection into arm|
|Virus Type||Live weakened virus||Dead virus|
|Antibodies in||Bloodstream and nose||Bloodstream|
|Minimum Age for Child||Two years of age||Six months of age|
|Vaccine effective in||Two weeks*||Two weeks*|
* If this is the first time that your child is receiving a flu vaccination, there has to be a second administration to assure that the antibodies develop. This follow-up won't be necessary in subsequent years.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?