The PracticalDad Minivan: Keeping It Stocked
Even if you aren't overscheduled, you're going to spend a decent amount of time in the family vehicle. And that means that you should consider keeping it stocked with some items for contingencies that come with kids of any age. What do I keep in my minivan, even if the kids aren't aware of it?
- A first aid kit stocked with plenty of wipes, bandaids and antibacterial cream.
- When the kids were younger, a supply of clean diapers/training pants and wipes tucked into a pocket behind the driver's seat in case the diaper bag was forgotten.
- A ready supply of pens and paper for drawing to pass the time.
- One or two bottles of water.
- Snacks, separate from what can be found between the seats.
- Feminine supplies.
- Books for the younger reader. Older kids can opt to bring their own selection.
- A book for myself. At this writing, it's Steven Pressfield's The Afghan Campaign.
- One or more plastic bags.
And even if you try to cover all contingencies, you're going to come up short on occasions. That's why God created Walmart...
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?