Knowing First Aid
I've learned in the past several days that I need to go back and take another first aid course. Because I've forgotten some of what I used to know.
The range of injuries for most children is consistent with a bell curve. Scrapes, cuts and bruises comprise the large majority of "boo-boos" but there are the occasional things that remind me what I don't know. And what must I refresh?
- The difference in clearing an obstacle from a small child's throat versus performing a Heimlich Manuever on an adult.
- Discerning how much pressure to apply for CPR on a small chest.
- How to handle immediate treatment for burns.
- How to handle first aid for broken bones.
It's pretty easy to discern when it's for the ED instead of the pediatrician's office. But there's still the initial work on the situation before contacting the doctors and that's where I got caught the other day; because what I had Middle do for his injury wasn't going to help him, even if it didn't hurt him (fortunately).
So in the several days, I'll make the time to contact the American Red Cross to see what's available in First Aid courses.
And Middle's going to be fine, thank God.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?