Helping Children Cope with Ear Pain on Flights
If you've taken small children on airline flights, you understand that one of the constant complaints is the nagging ear pain from the changes in pressure. Our early solutions used the obligatory movement of the jaw and pretend yawning. We met folks who would magically produce juice boxes early in the flight so that the sucking on the straw and swallowing would help alleviate the discomfort. This was made moot with the banning of liquids on flights.
While on a flight with a bothered toddler, the flight attendant directed me off of the plane during a layover. She sent me on a run to a candy kiosk for a unique solution. She "suggested" that I purchase a bag of sour fruit-flavored gummy worms and bring them for the child. According to the attendant, the sour flavor promotes salivation - and swallowing - while the chewing helps clear the child's Eustachian Tube. It's this tube which links the back of the throat/nose and the middle ear, and clearing it equalizes the middle ear pressure with the ambient pressure. This approach worked brilliantly and the subsequent flights have been problem-free.
At least for the ears. I wonder if a Snickers bar quells air-sickness?
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?