A First Year Timetable for Dads – What to Expect When You Don’t Know What to Expect
Frequent sleep deprivation and integrating a new child into your life can result in a first year that’s a complete blur. If you’re like the rest of us, you’ll probably wonder what the first year’s milestones are and whether Junior is on track. So here’s a brief list of the first year milestones that ought to help.
Remember that this is comprised of averages and that there is likely to be some differences between children. For example, the occasional child is born with one or more teeth or your daughter may not choose to crawl until later. One friend’s son was eating cut-up steak at two months. Be patient and if you have questions, talk to your mate or contact your pediatrician.
You should also note that some of these milestones build upon one another. For instance, holding the head up and sitting up without support all build upon the basic control of the neck muscles. Happy reading and hang on tight!
|1st stool (Meconium*)||1st day|
|1st Well-baby doctor visit||2nd day|
|2nd Well-baby doctor visit||4th day|
|Umbilical cord falls off||2 weeks|
|Well-baby checkup||1 month|
|1st time clearly smiling at you||1 month|
|Lift head up||1 month|
|Well-baby checkup||2 months|
|1st sex with new mom (theory)||3 months|
|1st tooth||3 months|
|Able to grasp/lift light objects||3 – 4 months|
|Well-baby checkup||4 months|
|Hold head up||4 months|
|Turn over||4 months|
|1st pulling up||4 months|
|Well-baby checkup||6 months|
|1st time clearly seeing you||6 months|
|Stops needing breast milk/formula||6 months|
|1st time solid foods introduced||6 months|
|1st time crawling||7 – 8 months|
|1st time walking||10 – 12 months|
|1st Dental visit||1 year|
|Well-baby checkup||1 year|
|* Meconium is not a gladiator or fuel for a Federation Starship. It is the term for the thick, tarry substance that constitutes your child’s first stool and is the remains of what was in his intestines/colon while he was in utero. Despite the rather nasty look and concept, it doesn’t smell – that comes later.|
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?