After illness, family guests and then an out-of-town trip with the eldest and other teens, I'm back. I regret if anyone has come here looking for new articles and I'll have to take to heart the mantra of publish, publish, publish.
A large part of being a father is teaching. Not esoteric stuff, but the daily minutiae that keeps you out of trouble. And a trip with kids is loaded with opportunities to teach if you pay attention.
- Why you hold your credit card face down when transacting business.
- Determining an appropriate level of tipping for a service rendered.
- Checking the store receipt when using a credit card to assure that the number and termination date isn't on the slip.
- Watching how people respond to new and/or frustrating situations.
- Why an education truly matters - in this instance, walking with your daughter past the Hustler Club on New Orleans' Bourbon Street.
- How to hail a cab and how to make small-talk.
- How to respond to people who are trying to make polite conversation with you.
- How to register a complaint and have a charge removed for poor service.
The opportunities are there and my kids fully expect that I'll call them over at any time to show them something.
You teach, it's what you do.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?