Fatherhood Lesson #5: Stuff Flows Downhill
Fatherhood lesson #5 is a family corollary to Newton's Law of Gravity. Inelegantly put, stuff flows downhill.
It's one that regularly grabs my ear and kicks my butt. The more time that you spend with the kids, the more attuned they'll be to your moods and concerns and while you might tell kids otherwise, they are pretty perceptive. You help set the tone in the house and it does have an impact.
In this particular instance, I've found that if I respond harshly - whether it's deserved or not - to a child, that child will pass the love onto a younger sibling. And if you have more than two children, you can watch it pass in a linear and chronological fashion through the children. So I've had to really work at trying to temper the response to the situation. Honestly, if I'm in a really bad mood then I can tell the kids to go to their rooms for a period so that I can come to grips with myself. When they were younger, there was confusion as to what they might have done but continued conversation with them can help understand that there are moments when Dad needs a break as much as any of them. They now understand that there are moments when I just tell them to go to their rooms while I regain control and that it's nothing that they might have necessarily done themselves.
All told, it beats the stink caused by spreading the toxicity through the household.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?