What Food Supplies Do I Keep Around for Sick Kids?
We try to keep some basic food items in the house for when a kid comes down with a virus. Note try since the shortsighted little beggars will pilfer through supplies despite your best efforts, in which case you have to replenish quickly. Despite that, what can you keep around for those days when a child is sick?
- unopened bottles of Sprite/Ginger Ale/7-Up;
- Apple juice (note that some acidic juices like orange or grapefruit juice will further upset the stomach);
- unopened packs of plain crackers, like Saltines;
- Bouillion cubes for mixing with hot water;
- cans of simple soup, like chicken/noodle or chicken/rice.
Remember that the idea for a child with a stomach virus is to keep them hydrated while they're sick and then provide them with mild items as they recover. This morning, I'm bringing Eldest - who's recovering from a stomach virus - along with a juice/Sprite mix. When she deals with that successfully, then we'll move up the ladder to dry foods, followed by soup and soft foods. After she's successfully handled these items without further nausea/vomiting or intestinal problems, then we'll get back to the regular foods.
Note this is not intended to be medical advice, but an insight into what can be used for kids with a mild virus. If you have any questions or problems, immediately contact your family physician or pediatrician.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?