Dealing with Germs, V.3
And sometimes you don't even see it coming.
You expect a virus to have a typical modus operandi with exhaustion and the droops, fever, nausea/vomiting and perhaps some intestinal stuff. But then you have the occasional critter that sneaks in and works it's way through the entire family. No sense of being tired or fever, just some onset of nausea and then family members are greeting the commode.
Middle started it yesterday after a busy day and we chalked it up to extended car travel - middle tends to motion sickness - and exhaustion after an overnight scout event. Plenty of fluid and a long night sleep - and no fever whatsover - and he was back to school this morning. And then Eldest came home midday with the same, and no fever. So we're again working with a virus that is going to relay around the house until everyone's suffered, including me.
Could it have been shortcircuited? Probably not, but had I been thinking, I would have started disinfecting common surfaces yesterday just to keep up with controlling the thing. This afternoon, I started the process of hitting all of the common touchable areas:
- faucets and toilet handles;
- doorknobs and lightswitches;
- telephones and remotes;
- countertops and doorframes.
So now we sit tight and see what happens. If I'm really fortunate, it'll pass Youngest by. And me? Well, they say that all the great men of history are dead, and I don't feel too well, myself.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?