First Time Events and Checking with Mom
No, that doesn't mean that you have no authority and have to check everything with your mate. But with fathers taking a greater role in the house and family, it's more likely that something's going to occur when your mate isn't there and that's liable to create some hard feelings.
Some things are uncontrollable, such as first steps or first words and if you miss it, that's life. Other things however, are controllable and some consideration is advisable. My gold standard was my eldest's first bite of solid food, which occurred while I was in the restaurant bathroom; I returned to find that she'd been given green beans in my absence, so that I was unable to enjoy the sight of a six month old munching on a bean. It wasn't a big deal in the great scheme of things, but it was irritating and it sticks in my craw more than a decade later.
This particular case in point is this morning's invitation for the youngest's first sleepover at a friend's house. I personally have no objection and will permit it, but am going to run it past the mother to assure that she has no concerns and at least has had the courtesy of a check. And to be on the safe side, I won't mention anything to my youngest until the matter is settled.
And that's another story...
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?