Preparing for Flu and Virus Season
We're now into January and even though everyone has had their shots and Flumist, the official flu season is now open. As I put cleaning supplies in the laundry closet, I realized that I'm out of the one thing that I really use at this time of year: disinfectant wipes.
Remember that the flu vaccine doesn't cover all flu variants. Instead, the government experts estimate which variant or two are most likely to strike and the contract goes to the pharmaceutical firms for production. So there's no given that the vaccines will be fully effective and there have been some years when the vaccines haven't been as effective. So it's imperative to try to keep ahead of household germs, especially during flu season. Instead of walking around with a spray bottle and paper towels or tissues, I've come to rely on disinfectant wipes. They're easy to carry and are effective on most bacteria and germs.
So what do I wipe?
- Door handles, knobs and door frames at the height at which your kid would place her hands.
- Bathroom and kitchen faucets.
- Drawer knobs and pulls, especially in the kitchen and bath.
- Television remotes.
- Refrigerator handles.
- Toilet handles and seats.
- Computer keyboard and mouse.
Literally, anyplace that you think your kid is going to lay their mitts.
This isn't a commercial for any particular brand of wipe, but do take the time to check the label ingredients.
And one other reminder is to make sure to keep them out of the reach of very small children who might mistake them for regular baby wipes. The idea is to keep the kids from the doctor.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?