New Year Adjustments - Charity
One of our end-of-the-year tasks in the PracticalDad household is culling the closets for items to donate to charity. While we periodically donate throughout the year, there are plenty of instances where growing children find that what fit three weeks ago no longer does; those items are typically pulled but never actually seem to make it out of their bedrooms. Hence, a mess.
The youngest had multiple too-small items folded on the closet shelf, and the eldest was collecting items for several months in the floor of her own closet. Simply put, there were too many things in too many different places and it was becoming confusing. What to do?
We resurrected a solution that had fallen through the cracks after a move the previous year. There is now a large cardboard box in the corner of the garage to hold those items that should be sent to various charities. I no longer have to roam from room to room and root through closets and shelves and after checking, the children can simply take their items to the box. When the box is full, I can sort, itemize and get the items where they need to go.
Anything to make the logistics easier.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?